A single coaching session can result in a client gaining clarity and jump-starting into action.
Last week, I participated in a “Drive by Coaching” session” after a former client requested an impromptu phone coaching session. Sue [name has been changed to honor confidentiality] had an idea of writing a book. She was excited about the idea and had doubts about who would acknowledge her book. She was unsure if she should move forward with the book idea or if she was just “dreaming”. I heard the passion in her voice and jumped right into coach mode to help Sue gain clarity.
During the 50 minute impromptu coaching session, Sue became clear on her purpose for writing a book, narrowed her focus, identified her target audience, clarified her expectations, and created an action plan. Sue was very excited and could visualize the book and individuals enjoying it. She had a realistic plan and was even more passionate! Whew…! I was impressed in what Sue accomplished in our “Drive by Coaching” session.
Once Sue and I ended the call, I reflected on what caused Sue to accomplish so much during one coaching session. Sue had a general vision of a goal for a book project. However, she was doubtful on if and how she should proceed, which is common among many clients. My role as a coach consisted of the following for the “Drive by Coaching” session:
- A strong connection (existing relationship with a former client)
- Actively listening – client does most the talking; recap and summarize what is stated
- Ask questions related to the alignment of client’s values
- Ask thought-provoking questions to uncover and increase awareness of the purpose and intention
- Acknowledge the passion and energy (or lack of it)
- Move to action quickly, which should come naturally from the client
All Sue needed was a “Drive by Coaching” session to move her forward!